Sunday, 21 September 2008

Don't, Don't, DON'T !!

 

"Don't do it, don't, DON'T !!" shout a neighbour, to her grandchild. Then, often crying follows. 

There is a couple living near our house whom their grand children visit frequently over weekends.

I am not sure what is wrong with those kids but they seems to be shouted at by the grandmother all the time.

Is it their fault?

Although I am sure children push their boundaries whenever an opportunity arises, it is, I think, down to adults how to handle the situation in a positive way.

Every time I hear her shout, it effects me even though I am not the one being shouted at. Unfortunately, the routine often happens on a lovely sunny weekend when everybody opens windows or chilling out in a garden. 

I cannot help wondering how the shout effects these children.  When a child gets aggressive or not following what is being told, what would be an effective way of stopping an unwanted behaviour?

I read many dog training books but non of them suggested to shout at dogs. Often it encourages positive reinforcement in a good behaviour to remove an unwanted behaviour as they only go deaf to a handlers command or make them even more aggressive.

I am sure humans are the same.  Sad thing is the grandmother does not seem to realise how her behaviour effecting those children... and don't forget, her neighbours too.

They are such a nice couple. I wish I had a courage to tell her to stop shouting, but I will never do it because I am so scared to be shouted at by her !!

No comments: